27. syyskuuta 2010

MY LIFE IN WORDS

I enjoy reading Red magazine and each issue has a section in which somebody introduces his/her favourite books. I now try to do the same. I have to do this in English since I read my books in English.



MY LIFE IN WORDS

The last book I read:
The Importance of being seven by Alexander McCall Smith
I love 44 Scotland Street books especially because of Bertie. I, like so many other fans of the series, want Bertie to be happy and to see him set free from the life he is forced to live. I made my husband walk up and down Scotland Street when we were on holiday in Edinburgh and we had some tea at Valvona&Crolla so I have visited some of the sites like a true fan. That may be a bit sad but I enjoy these books.

My favourite book:
First of all I have to apologize. I just cannot name one book that is my favourite so I’ll limit my list to three.
My three favourite books in no particular order:
The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
I enjoy all the Mma Ramotswe books but this one is the first and my favourite. The setting is so different and Africa is so beautiful in the books. You always feel good after reading about Mma Ramotswe and her friends and the books are a great way to relax.

About a boy by Nick Hornby
This one is still one of my favourites although I read it years ago. I like the way Hornby writes and I liked the story a lot. Without going into detail the setting in the book is familiar to me. I sympathize with the boy.

Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee
This book made a huge impact on me and it was hard work reading it. Another one set in Africa and definitely worth reading.



The book that makes me cry:
Testimony by Anita Shreve
A very good book about a tragedy set in a small American town. I have read it and have also listened to the audio book. I finished listening to it on my honeymoon in Italy at an airport in Rome. The Husband wondered what was going on when I came out of the toilet in tears. It was just that I so enjoyed the book.

The best holiday book:
The truth about Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell
I enjoy reading Lisa Jewell’s books in the summertime or when I just want to relax. She writes well and the topics are contemporary. I especially like the book about Melody Browne with all the twists and turns as well as the lightness of the book.

The best travel book:
A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson
I love Bill Bryson’s books and have read most of them several times. A walk in the woods is the one that has shaken me the most. I am not a brave soul and it took the Husband two years to talk me into taking walks in the nearby woods. I was too afraid of bears and snakes to go there. Now I love the woods and we spend many weekends and evenings going for walks and enjoying the woods. I have even tried hiking with varying success but haven’t been brave enough to spend a night in the woods yet. Reading A walk in the woods is most enjoyable since you can experience all the gruelling things just sitting on your own couch with a cup of tea nearby.


The book I wish I had written:
Miss Garnet’s Angel by Salley Vickers
A friend recommended this book to me and I read it ages ago but it is still one of my favourites. The story is really fascinating and set in Venice. This book makes me want to travel. And to write. I would have liked to write this particular story.

The book everyone should read:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I know this is an obvious female favourite but I don’t care. I love Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice although I like Persuasion almost as much. I spent a long time looking for my Mr Darcy and now he sits by his computer doing his things and we are as happy as can be.

A book I would like to recommend:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
A friend surprised me and sent me this book a while back. It is absolutely fantastic and I really enjoyed reading it. It amused me and made me cry and I have been wanting to visit Guernsey ever since.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti